FORM 2: 3rd & 4th grades
We are happy to announce the addition of a Form 2 class for the 2017-2018 school year! Our third and fourth graders will enjoy a year of learning inspired by the Charlotte Mason method. In this combined class, they will be reading and listening to quality literature, exploring nature, and perfecting basic skills. These last years of early childhood are special, and we plan to make them full of wonder and joy.
Instead of relying on textbooks only, the Charlotte Mason method recommends using "living books," so-called because they bring the subjects to "life". Many of our literary, historical, and scientific selections for the Form 2 class will be taken from Ambleside Online's Year 3 and Year 4 booklists. We will also have fun doing experiments from the BFSU curriculum, recording our nature finds in nature notebooks and keeping track of historical facts in a modified Book of Centuries.
One unusual aspect of our Form 2 class is the mode of assessment. Because we feel that personal encouragement from a parent or teacher is the best way to motivate a child towards excellent work, students will not receive traditional quarterly report cards. Instead, student work will be sent home weekly for the parent to peruse. Each quarter, parents will have the opportunity to meet with the teacher and discuss their child's strengths, weakness, and needs.
- This class meets each Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, from 8:15-2:45
- This class is designed for children in 3rd or 4th grade.
- A younger child who is able to do 3rd grade work may attend, as may an older child who may be on the 4th grade level.
- As a class, our math practice will focus mainly on the 4 basic math operations. We will also be using Singapore math, and the parent may select either Math in Focus Grade 3 or Math in Focus Grade 4.
- The main teacher for this year's Form 2 class will be Mrs. Diana Cunningham.
Click here for booklist information.